[libvirt] [Guidelines Change] Changes to the Packaging Guidelines

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Apr 12 21:13:13 UTC 2012

things we should be thinking about:

On 04/12/2012 02:57 PM, Tom Callaway wrote:
> Here is the latest set of changes to the Fedora Packaging Guidelines:
>
> ---
>
> Packages which have SysV initscripts that contain 'non-standard service
> commands' (commands besides start, stop, reload, restart, or
> try-restart) must convert those commands into standalone helper scripts.
> Systemd does not support non-standard unit commands.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Systemd#Unit_Files

I think libvirt-guests falls into this category.

> ---
>
> The guidelines relating to PIE and Hardened Packages were updated. Now,
> if your package meets the following critera you MUST enable the PIE
> compiler flags:
>
> * Your package is long running. This means it's likely to be started and
> keep running until the machine is rebooted, not start on demand and quit
> on idle.
>
> * Your package has suid binaries, or binaries with capabilities.
>
> * Your package runs as root.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#PIE

libvirtd definitely qualifies as one of these packages needing PIE
compilation in our libvirt.spec file.

> ---
>
> Rules involving appropriate scripting within Fedora Package spec files
> were added to the Guidelines:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Scripting_inside_of_spec_files

Don't know if any of these changes impact us, but can't hurt to audit it.

Plus, we still haven't converted our mingw specfile over to the mingw64
toolchain.  Anyone up for some specfile maintenance?