[libvirt] on special migration(domain defined, not started yet)

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Aug 1 12:13:44 UTC 2012

On 07/31/2012 09:30 PM, liguang wrote:
> Hi, All
>
> If a VM domain defined, but not started yet,
> and I want to migrate it to another server,
> so that It can be started at there, what's
> should i do? or is it rational?

Yes it is rational, and you're not the first to request it.
Unfortunately, we haven't yet taught 'virsh migrate' to support offline
migration, even though (or because?) it is dead simple to cobble
together yourself:

source$ virsh dumpxml $dom > file.xml
dest$ virsh define file.xml

optionally followed by
source$ virsh undefine $dom

Patches are welcome to make 'virsh migrate' automatically handle an
offline migration.