[libvirt] [Patch v3 0/3] Add QEMU network helper support

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Mon Aug 6 14:56:18 UTC 2012

On 03.08.2012 22:33, rmarwah at linux.vnet.ibm.com wrote:
> From: Richa Marwaha <rmarwah at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
>
> QEMU has a new feature which allows QEMU to execute under an unprivileged user ID and still be able to
> add a tap device to a Linux network bridge. Below is the link to the QEMU patches for the bridge helper
> feature:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2012-01/msg03562.html
>
> The existing libvirt tap network device support for adding a tap device to a bridge (-netdev tap) works
> only when connected to a libvirtd instance running as the privileged system account 'root'.
> When connected to a libvirtd instance running as an unprivileged user (ie. using the session URI) creation of
> the tap device fails as follows:
>
> error: Failed to start domain F14_64 error: Unable to create tap device vnet%d: Operation not permitted
>
> With this support, creating a tap device in the above scenario will be possible.  Additionally, hot attaching
> a tap device to a bridge while running when connected to a libvirtd instance running as an unprivileged user
> will be possible.
>
> Richa Marwaha (3):
>   Add -netdev bridge capabilities
>   Add -netdev bridge support
>   apparmor: QEMU bridge helper policy updates
>
>  AUTHORS                        |    1 +
>  examples/apparmor/libvirt-qemu |   21 ++++++++++++++-
>  src/qemu/qemu_capabilities.c   |   13 ++++++---
>  src/qemu/qemu_capabilities.h   |    1 +
>  src/qemu/qemu_command.h        |    2 +
>  src/qemu/qemu_hotplug.c        |   31 ++++++++++++++-------
>  tests/qemuhelptest.c           |    3 +-

So I've went ahead, reviewed, ACKed and pushed whole series.
I suggest is worth adding some kind of documentation (either a wiki
page, or mention it somewhere in docs/ docs/drvqemu.html.in perhaps?) -
how to set up bridge-helper. But I am okay if that's a follow up patch.
It's not a show stopper after all.

Michal