[libvirt] Memory Ballooning for VM Issue

xuanmao_001 xuanmao_001 at 163.com
Tue Aug 7 10:06:43 UTC 2012

Hi, I have some problems with qemu ballooning.

I saw the qemu docs. I found the qemu monitor command "balloon" that can request VM to change its memory allocation to value(in MB).
it requested qemu command line with "-balloon virtio", then I start qemu into monitor mode with memory 512MB.
first show balloon information.
(qemu) info balloon
(qemu)balloon: actual=512
the command above if like this, I think the balloon device worked fine.

(qemu) balloon 400
there was no error when I executed this command.
but when I executed "info balloon", the result was still 512.
Is there something wrong?
please give me some ideas.

thanks.

qemu-kvm version: 1.0.1