[libvirt] virsh vol-upload purpose question

Li, Chun Wen licwen at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Aug 21 04:50:18 UTC 2012

I use virsh vol-upload to upload some data in a volume and use
vol-download to download these data from the same volume, both these two
commands work well. However, when I first use these two commands, I
thought I can use vol-upload to upload some file, then attach this
volume to a vm, and  access the upload file in this vm. I did this
experiment, bud it not success. Once I upload a file into a volume,
attach it to a vm, then the vm can not recognize the file type of this
vm, if I mkfs to the volume, the file I upload disappear.

So, my question is the purpose of the vol-upload is just to save some
data in the volume outside vm? I think it is more reasonable if  we can
access upload data from vm.

Best Regards
Kimi Li