[libvirt] How to solve this problem---libvirtError: this function is not supported by the connection driver: virNWFilterDefineXML

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri Aug 24 14:18:09 UTC 2012

On 08/23/2012 07:39 PM, Zhihong Wang wrote:
> Dear all:
> I am trying to deploy openstack on xen hypervisor.Since XenSever or XCP  is
> not available on our customized virtulization platform. We decide to use
> libvirt on xen as a middleware operating the xen hypervisor. But when I try
> to boot a instance , xen failed to response and I find the error in my
> nova.log as follows:
>

> 3645be21-9b5b-4718-9c9f-f6ba3588f7b4] libvirtError: this function is not
> supported by the connection driver: virNWFilterDefineXML
> 2012-08-24 09:17:25 TRACE nova.compute.manager [instance:
> 3645be21-9b5b-4718-9c9f-f6ba3588f7b4]
>
> It seems that libvirt doesn't support virNWFilterDefineXML on xen,

Unfortunately, your analysis is correct - no one has yet contributed a
patch to port NWFilter usage to the xen driver.

> Is there
> any good solutions? Or how  much work should be done to add this function
> to libvirt?

You could use the code in the qemu driver as a starting point, if you
are interested in adding the functionality yourself.  I don't use xen
much myself, so I probably won't write such a patch, but I will review
any patch posted by others.