[libvirt] libvirt-java, libvirt-client on Centos 6.2

Gautam Sampathkumar gsampathkumar at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 20:39:00 UTC 2012

Hi All,
       I've been trying to upgrade our version of libvirt-java to 0.4.8
since we're now running libvirt 0.10.0 and are running into the following
dependency problems on our Centos 6.2 machine.

libvirt-java requires libvirt-client > 0.9.12

1. The libvirt-client RPMs all appear to be targeted to Fedora Core system
and I'm not certain I should be trying to install these RPMs on my CentOS
box. However, I'm unable to find a source tarball so I can build
libvirt-client from source.

2. I did try to install the FC RPM
libvirt-client-0.10.0-0rc0.fc16.x86_64.rpm and this fails with the error
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.14)(64bit) is needed by
libvirt-client-0.10.0-0rc0.fc16.x86_64
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.15)(64bit) is needed by
libvirt-client-0.10.0-0rc0.fc16.x86_64

glib 2.12 is the latest version available via YUM for all CentOS 6.x
distributions, so I attempted to build and install glibc 2.15 from source.
I can confirm that we now have /usr/lib64/libc.so.6 installed. However,
attempting to install libvirt-client still fails with the same error.

3. Not sure why libvirt-java depends on libvirt-client

Any guidance or pointers would be much appreciated.

thanks,
Gautam