[libvirt] RFC: APIs to manage KSM

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Aug 31 14:46:34 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 04:56:01PM +0800, Osier Yang wrote:
> Triggered by the requirement to control the new sys knob
> /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/merge_nodes for a NUMA aware host by
> patch:
>
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.mm/81497
>
> It shows there is no methods to manage the KSM in
> libvirt. This proposes the new APIs like following, thanks
> for suggestions/idea in advance.
>
> == The macros and enums for the params' fields
>
>    /* virNodeKSMRunMode:
>     *
>     * Represents the modes of /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run.
>     */
>    typedef enum {
>        /* Stop ksmd from running but keep merged pages */
>        VIR_NODE_STOP_KSM_KEEP_MERGED_PAGES = 0,
>
>        /* Start ksmd */
>        VIR_NODE_START_KSM                  = 1,
>
>        /* Stop ksmd and and unmerge all pages currently merged */
>        VIR_NODE_STOP_KSM_UNMERGE_PAGES     = 2,
>    } virNodeKSMRunMode;

See my next comment about this...

>   /*
>    * VIR_NODE_KSM_PAGES_TO_SCAN:
>    *
>    * Macro for typed parameter that represents how many present pages
>    * to scan before ksmd goes to sleep.
>    */
>   # define VIR_NODE_KSM_PAGES_TO_SCAN     "pages_to_scan"
>
>   /*
>    * VIR_NODE_KSM_SLEEP_MILLISECS:
>    *
>    * Macro for typed parameter that represents how many milliseconds
>    * ksmd should sleep before next scan.
>    */
>   # define VIR_NODE_KSM_SLEEP_MILLISECS   "sleep_millisecs"
>
>   /*
>    * VIR_NODE_KSM_RUN:
>    *
>    * Macro for typed parameter that is used to control ksmd's state, as
>    * an int containing a virNodeKSMRunMode value.
>    */
>   # define VIR_NODE_KSM_RUN                "run"

The other constants here are all tunable parameters. This one however
is an action. IMHO we should not use a {Get,Set}Parameters style
APIs for actions. We should have an explicit API for invoking them.

> [...]
>   # define VIR_NODE_KSM_PAGES_SHARING      "pages_sharing"
>
>   /* VIR_NODE_KSM_PAGES_UNSHARED:
>    *
>    * Macro for typed parameter that represents how many pages unique
>    * but repeatedly checked for merging.
>    */
>   # define VIR_NODE_KSM_PAGES_UNSHARED     "pages_unshared"
>
>   /* VIR_NODE_KSM_PAGES_VOLATILE:
>    *
>    * Macro for typed parameter that represents how many pages changing
>    * too fast to be placed in a tree.
>    */
>   # define VIR_NODE_KSM_PAGES_VOLATILE     "pages_volatile"
>
>   /* VIR_NODE_KSM_FULL_SCAN:
>    *
>    * Macro for typed parameter that represents how many times all
>    * mergeable areas have been scanned.
>    */
>   # define VIR_NODE_KSM_FULL_SCAN          "full_scan"
>
> == API to Get KSM parameters.
>
>   /*
>    * virNodeGetKSMParameters:
>    * @conn: pointer to the hypervisor connection
>    * @params: pointer to memory parameter object
>    *          (return value, allocated by the caller)
>    * @nparams: pointer to number of memory parameters; input and output
>    * @flags: extra flags; not used yet, so callers should always pass 0
>    *
>    * ... Detailed comments ommitted ...
>    *
>    * Returns 0 in case of success, and -1 in case of failure.
>    */
>   int
>   virNodeGetKSMParameters(virConnectPtr conn,
>                           virTypedParameterPtr params,
>                           int *nparams,
>                           unsigned int flags);
>
> == API to set KSM parameters.
>
>    Currently only "run", "pages_to_scan", and "sleep_millisecs"
>    are writable. The new boolearn sys knob "merge_nodes" could
>    be added once it's acceptted by kernel upstream.
>
>   /*
>    * virNodeSetKSMParameters:
>    * @conn: pointer to the hypervisor connection
>    * @params: pointer to scheduler parameter objects
>    * @naprams: number of scheduler parameter objects
>    *          (this value can be the same or less than the returned
>    *           value nparams of virDomainGetSchedulerType)
>    * @flags: extra flags; not used yet, so callers should always pass 0
>    *
>    * ... Detailed comments ommitted ...
>    *
>    * Returns 0 in case of success, -1 in case of failure.
>    */
>   int
>   virNodeSetKSMParameters(virConnectPtr conn,
>                           virTypedParameterPtr params,
>                           int nparams,
>                           unsigned int flags);
>
> BTW, the other thing libvirt misses is to tell ksmtuned to retune
> when a domain is started or destroyed. Which is outlined in
> the Red Hat Virtualization Administration Guide doc, but it's
> not true. So either we have a hole in libvirt, or lacks a fix

As a general point, we should not use the term 'KSM' in the API
names, since that is an implementation specific name. We want
some more generic name. eg

  virNodeSetMemorySharingParameters

likewise for all the enum/constant names.