[libvirt] RFC: Coding style: require alphabetical header file sorting

Viktor Mihajlovski mihajlov at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Dec 4 10:28:32 UTC 2012

> Thus far we only have one rule about header files, #include <config.h>
> must be first in all .c files.  I'm wondering if it is time to introduce
> some new rules
>
>   - All system headers must be grouped to preceed all local headers
why not enforce the current statement in the contributor guidelines:
<config.h>, system includes, conditional system includes, "internal.h",
local includes (is there a need for conditional local includes?).
>   - All system headers must be sorted within their group
>   - All local headers must be sorted within their group
as a header file is expected to be self-contained this ought to be OK,
although there might special cases requiring different ordering
(config.h is an obvious one, no others come to mind at the moment).

> This will require updating pretty much every single source and header
> file in the tree. Of course it will need a new syntax check rule to
> validate this too.  Since fixing them is a serious amount of work,
syntax-check should allow exceptions to be defined per my
comment above.
> I was wondering about people's opinions on this ?
>
> The goal is just standardization to make code a little more readable.
would be a first good step. Maybe out of scope, but I would even
welcome a general source-file structuring rule set (e.g. all static
definitions first, then all externals vs a more topic-oriented grouping,
like all network related functions, then all disk related ones, etc...).

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Kind Regards
    Viktor Mihajlovski

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen