[libvirt] RFC: Enable Libvirt to handle OVA installation

Doug Goldstein cardoe at gentoo.org
Wed Dec 5 23:24:00 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Ata Bohra <ata.husain at hotmail.com> wrote:
> This is a proposal to enhance Libvirt library to handle OVA package
> installation.
>
> OVA:
> OVA is one of the widely accepted and consortium defined/maintained format
> for
> Virtual Machine distros. Technically it is a tar file with three main
> components:
> 1. VMX descriptor (XML file defining virtual machine specifics such as:
> virtual hardware etc.
> 2. VMDKs in a compressed format.
> 3. Manifest file.

I thought this was discussed previously on the list before and the
idea was to provide something similar to virt-v2v to convert from OVA
into libvirt. Since effectively OVA machines are not really tied to
any one virtualization solution but could be qemu or VMWare (or maybe
VBox) VMs. It just the disk image and some high level definitions
about the hardware.

Or are you intending on this just being another storage driver for the
VMWare driver?

--
Doug Goldstein