[libvirt] Some help in Starting up

Ata Bohra ata.husain at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 16 00:52:03 UTC 2012

Hi Arslan,
Welcome to the club! It was not long time back when I got introduced with Libvirt and was wondering about same stuff myself, just sharing the way I worked it out: 1. Understand libvirt architecture and its basic components. I strongly believe this step once done properly builds a sound      understanding of basics and helps alot in the long run. Please refer to http://libvirt.org/docs.html and links under this      section to get a breif introduction of Libvirt Architecture, a quick reference to API documentation etc.2. System setup:     I created a workspace to store my libvirt files, this can be done as:     1.1.  git clone git://libvirt.org/libvirt.git (this will get you the latest git repo code)     1.2.  Once downloaded I would highly recommend reading README-hacking file to get familiar with how to build libvirt               and other finer details.3. Once I had libvirt installed on my system, I wrote a small test module (I call it testvirt), which is nothing but a C binary     that accepts user options and calls internal APIs (such as connect to a hypervisor which in my case was ESXi, dump     domain XML etc.). This module helped me getting familiar with libvirt code, debug it to understand the flow of the code     as well as test the modules that I have tried so far. 4. Lastly, once you have made changes to libvirt code as per your project, please refer to HACKING file under the root      directory to get familiar with steps needed to submit your patch to the community. Hope above steps will be of some help to you and would get you started with Libvirt :-). Thanks!Ata Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 04:14:17 +0500