[libvirt] No VirtualBox Driver

Arslan Waqar animecrazy71 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 12:30:16 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Peter Krempa <pkrempa at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 12/17/12 09:07, Arslan Waqar wrote:
>

>> Hey Peter,
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Peter Krempa <pkrempa at redhat.com
>> <mailto:pkrempa at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 12/17/12 07:40, Arslan Waqar wrote:
>>
>>         Hi all,
>>

>>     Hi Arslan,
>>

>>         I am new to the group and hence there might be a chance I might be
>>         asking a simple question...
>>
>>         The thing is I compiled and installed libvirt from git. Then in my
>>         terminal window I started virsh. It started. Then since I had
>>         Virtual
>>         Box installed on my machine I ran "connect vbox:///session".
>>         Once I did
>>         this I got two errors which said:
>>         error: Failed to connect to the hypervisor
>>         error: internal error unable to initialize VirtualBox driver API
>>

>>     What version of VirtualBox are you using? The support for Vbox 4.2
>>     wasn't committed yet to the tree as it lacks feedback from the
>>     users. If you have VirtualBox 4.2 and are willing to test the
>>     patches for that it would be really helpful.
>>

>>         I am unable to resolve this issue...Any input is welcome!
>>
>>         Thanks!
>>
>>         --
>>         Regards,
>>         Arslan Waqar.
>>

>>     Peter
>>

>>         --
>> >

>> I do have Virtual Box 4.2 and I am willing to test ... So please do send
>> me instructions on how to get going. If there are any specific use cases
>> which need to be testet then do send them to me... (BTW, I have some
>> important VMs on VirtualBox, should I be worried about them while
>> testing?)
>>

> As you are using the git version it's pretty simple:
>
> You need to fetch the branch containing the patches:
>
> git fetch git://git.pipo.sk/libvirt.git virtualbox-4.2
>
> and then create a new branch from FETCH_HEAD:
>
> git checkout -b virtualbox-4.2 FETCH_HEAD
>
> and then you need to compile it again. Make sure that the summary after
> configure ends lists the virtualbox driver.
>

>> Also while installing I got the errors related to xhtml1-dtds ... I read
>> quite a lot on it on
>> http://www.redhat.com/**archives/libvir-list/2009-**
>> November/msg00430.html<http://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2009-November/msg00430.html>
>> and turns out this problem is not present in Fedora, it occurs in Ubuntu
>> almost every time, because ubuntu does not have xhtml1-dtds package.
>>

> Hm, there's a possibility that the package is named differently in debian
> based distros.
>

>  Now, because of this will I face any problem? if so then what exactly,
>> and how to solve it...Also is there a workaround for it...?
>>

> The inability to verify the DTDs shouldn't be fatal. Anyways, you don't
> really need to do make install from the git tree. You can run libvirt
> directly from the repo after it's built
>

>> --
>> Regards,
> [...]
I tried to to fetch the Virtual Box 4.2 drivers code branch by running this
command in terminal:
git fetch git://git.pipo.sk/libvirt.git virtualbox-4.2

I got the following error:
fatal: remote error: access denied or repository not exported: /libvirt.git

Apparently I cant access it... do I need to do some account verification or
something...?

Also I have searched almost everywhere and still haven't found a workaround
for the  xhtml1-dtds package ... If some one is using Ubuntu for libvirt
development then kindly advise me a Ubuntu/Debian equivalent package
for xhtml1-dtds
package ....

Arslan Waqar.