[libvirt] Release of libvirt-1.0.1

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Dec 20 18:57:37 UTC 2012

[trimming libvirt-announce from cc]

On 12/19/2012 04:03 PM, Jason Helfman wrote:
> I will be committing this to the FreeBSD portstree this week. One item that
> has held this up for me was repeated build failures.
>
> In looking through the code, I found out that perl was introduced as a
> build dependency, but I didn't see this noted anywhere in the notes or the
> spec files.

Perl has been a bootstrap requirement when building from git for some
time now, although we have tried to keep away from making it a build
requirement.  Therefore, this looks like a regression, for not
gracefully building the package from a tarball without perl present.
What was the exact failure you hit, so we can correct that?  Basically,
any file that requires perl should be pre-built as part of 'make dist',
so that building a tarball will not need perl.  Likewise, any place
where 'make check' runs a perl-based test, those tests should gracefully
be skipped if perl is not present.