[libvirt] Coverity scan

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Dec 20 21:24:47 UTC 2012

On 12/20/2012 08:25 AM, John Ferlan wrote:

> First allow me to introduce myself - I'm John Ferlan a new Red Hat employee (3 weeks).  I came from the closed world at HP where for the last 7 years I worked in a group developing/supporting HP's Integrity Virtual Machine software prior to it being outsourced to India this past May. I primarily worked in the CLI/API and daemon space, although I also spent quite a bit of time in the lower virtualization layers which mimicked the Integrity instructions. I am very happy to be in the open world and look forward to contributing.  Everyone has to start some where.

Welcome to libvirt!  Based on recent list traffic, there are several
people, not just John, and not just at Red Hat, that are aiming to
provide initial contributions.  Be sure to provide your feedback and
questions on the list, and hopefully we can use that to make our hacking
documentation even easier to follow for future newcomers.

You may want to figure out why your mailer doesn't automatically wrap
long lines.  Webmail interfaces (gmail, zimbra) and Microsoft Exchange
tend to be the worst mail agents when it comes to RFC compliance and
lack of knobs to tune for improving the situation, which in turn can
make it harder to read your messages and apply patches you submit.  You
may notice that many people on this list use mutt or Thunderbird rather
than web mailers, if only to have better formatted mail, but it's not a
hard pre-requisite (we won't reject a patch just because of how it was
sent, although it might take longer to apply if we have to jump through
hoops to get it extracted from the mail).  For mailers that have the
right knobs, turning on format=flowed is one way of sending reasonably
formatted mail [but be aware that Thunderbird has had a rather nasty bug
for several years now where defaulting to format=flowed can result in
botching the whitespace of the quoted portion of a message you are
replying to].

> My first task here at Red Hat was to triage a Coverity scan executed against libvirt-1.0.0-1.fc19.src.rpm done in late November.  There were 285 issues documented. I quickly found that some of the defects found there were already fixed in later submits upstream, so I ran a new Coverity scan last Friday and it came back with 297 issues broken down as follows:
>
>      1 ARRAY_VS_SINGLETON
>     33 BAD_SIZEOF
>     17 CHECKED_RETURN
>      1 CONSTANT_EXPRESSION_RESULT
>      5 COPY_PASTE_ERROR
>     13 DEADCODE
>     46 FORWARD_NULL
>      2 MISSING_RETURN
>      2 NEGATIVE_RETURNS
>      7 NULL_RETURNS
>      1 OVERRUN
>    137 RESOURCE_LEAK
>     18 REVERSE_INULL
>      1 SIGN_EXTENSION
>      3 UNINIT
>      8 UNUSED_VALUE
>      2 USE_AFTER_FREE

Thanks for doing this.  Helping to reduce the false positives and
eliminate the real bugs will make it easier to run Coverity on a
periodic basis and check for recent regressions while the code is still
fresh on our minds.  Looking forward to the patches you come up with.