[libvirt] [RFC] Support for qemu's virtio-rng

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Dec 19 14:17:26 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 05:46:44PM +0100, Peter Krempa wrote:
> Commit 16c915ba42b45df7a64a6908287f03bfa3764bed in the qemu.git tree
> introduced support for emulating a virtio-rng device used to pass-through
> entropy to the guests.
>
> Qemu provides two backends to gather entropy from:
> 1) Default chardev backend
>     This backend supports reading non-blocking character devices that provide
>     entropy such as /dev/random (by default) or others according to
>     configuration.
>
>     This backend also supports basic rate limiting of the entropy read from
>     the source. Unfortunately as the rate limiting is done just on a per-guest
>     basis this cannot protect the host from being starved of entropy by
>     multiple guests although their individual rates are limited.
>
> 2) EGD backend
>     This backend uses the EGD protocol to communicate with a daemon that
>     servers entropy.
>
>     The EGD protocol is a simple protocol that was introduced by the entropy
>     gathering daemon (a substitute for /dev/random on machines that don't
>     support it). This protocol can be used for centralized management of
>     entropy allocation to the hosts.
>
>     This by itself isn't really useful as implementations of EGD daemons are
>     trying to create the entropy instead of using available sources and
>     multiplexing/rate-limiting them. For this functionality we will (probably)
>     need a separate server to serve the entropy to the guests but more on this
>     topic later.
>
> To represent the configuration of the virtio-rng device to the guest I propose
> the following domain XML snipped to be used:
>
> For the first use case I propose:
> <domain>
>   [...]
>   <devices>
>     [...]
>     <rng model='virtio'>
>       <rate bytes='1024' period='1000'/>
>       <source type='char'>/dev/urandom</source>
>         -- or --
>       <source type='char'/>
>         -- for the default source --
>     </rng>
>   </devices>
> </domain>
>
> For the EGD backend used manually (without any managed server) I propose:
>     <rng model='virtio'>
>       <rate bytes='1024' period='1000'/>
>       <source type='egd'>
>         <remote type='unix'>/path/to/socket</remote>
>             -- or --
>         <remote type='tcp' port='12345'>host.addr</remote>
>            -- optionally or even more options, but they don't seem useful
>       </source>
>     </rng>
>

> Now these solutions are mere envelopes on top of the qemu functionality and
> don't really let us do any advanced configuration or management and they don't
> protect the host or guests by themselves from starving others from entropy.
>
> The solution for the problem described above is to have a central point where
> guests can request entropy and this central point will do all the rate
> [...]

This all sounds fairly sane to me. WRT the creation of a central daemon
to support the EGD protocol, if you're not already planning this, I'd
suggest that the daemon should be completely standalone. eg a virtrngd.
As with virtlockd, we'll need virtrngd to be able to remain running
even across RPM upgrades. So virtrngd will need to be able todo the
same re-exec() magic that virtlockd does on RPM upgrades.