[libvirt] virDomainNetGetActualBridgeName doesn't return the actual bridge

Hendrik Schwartke hendrik at os-t.de
Wed Feb 1 11:39:27 UTC 2012

I'm working on a patch to change the network an interface is associated
with while the guest is running.
So one part of this is of course changing the bridge the interface is
actually connected to. I already considered the way your described (from
domain to net to bridge) but I'm wondering if that really the right way
to do it.
I'm not really familiar with the code but
virDomainNetGetActualBridgeName seems to do exactly what I'm searching for:
const char *
virDomainNetGetActualBridgeName(virDomainNetDefPtr iface)
{
     if (iface->type == VIR_DOMAIN_NET_TYPE_BRIDGE)
         return iface->data.bridge.brname;
     if (iface->type != VIR_DOMAIN_NET_TYPE_NETWORK)
         return NULL;
     if (!iface->data.network.actual)
         return NULL;
     return iface->data.network.actual->data.bridge.brname;
}
It simply returns brname from data.network.actual if the struct exists.
But it doesn't exist.
Is this indented or is the code to create this structure simply missing?