[libvirt] The weird '@' in bind address on OSX

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Wed Feb 8 08:58:22 UTC 2012

Hi all,

As a general thought, would anyone be interested in getting this weird '@'
thing in the bind address on OSX "fixed"?

It shows up in both libvirtd and virsh:

  $ libvirtd
  2012-02-08 08:39:53.211+0000: -1: info : libvirt version: 0.9.10
  2012-02-08 08:39:53.211+0000: -1: error : virNetSocketNewListenUNIX:346 : Failed to bind socket to '@/Users/jc/.libvirt/libvirt-sock': No such file or directory

and

  $ virsh
  Welcome to virsh, the virtualization interactive terminal.

  Type:  'help' for help with commands
         'quit' to quit

  virsh # version
  error: Failed to reconnect to the hypervisor
  error: no valid connection
  error: Failed to connect socket to '@/Users/jc/.libvirt/libvirt-sock': No such file or directory

Matthias mentioned it's due to using anonymous unix sockets, which
are only present on Linux:

  https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvirt-users/2011-November/msg00018.html

Guess that means libvirtd doesn't work on *BSD either?

Perhaps gnulib has a cross platform way to take care of this?

(Note, I could have sworn eblake started looking into this ages ago,
but then I moved on to the Aeolus team.  Unsure if there was useful
progress back then. ?)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--