[libvirt] RFC: Post-install behavior of libvirt(-client)

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Feb 15 10:57:55 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 03:17:40PM -0700, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 02/14/2012 01:37 AM, Martin Kletzander wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I have a small bug #786770 [1] assigned and I discussed this with few
> > people from our team but I'm still not sure what should be the proper
> > fix for this bug.
>
> > Thinking about this a little more, I see two more "unconsistencies"
> > let's say:
> >  - we are starting libvirt-guests if it is enabled (rpm post script
> > should not start services)
>
> Ultimately, I see two possible useful behaviors:
>
> 1. We install but don't start services.  Since both libvirtd and
> libvirt-guests have a Default-Start: 3 4 5 (for init script) or
> [Install]WantedBy=multi-user.target (for systemd), then the user will
> get both services running after their next reboot (by virtue of their
> defaults), but not beforehand.
>
> If the user wants to start the services before rebooting, then they
> should start both services - if the user starts libvirtd but not
> libvirt-guests, it is their own fault for not realizing that
> libvirt-guests was useful.
>
> 2. We install services, and if it is the initial install, we also
> default those services to start immediately.  And, since libvirt-client
> can be installed without libvirtd, we make sure that the libvirt-guests
> init script has sane default behavior when it cannot connect to a
> running libvirtd.
>
> Where is it written that rpms may not start services?  Finding a
> concrete policy on the matter should influence our answer...

It is a basic Fedora requirement that you may *not* start any
services during %post scripts. The reason for this is that the
RPMs need to be installable in virutal chroot directories for
the purposes of building RPMs.

The only permissable things are

 - Mark the service to be started by default
 - Issue a conditional restart - ie, if we detect the service
   already running, it is permissable to restart it.