[libvirt] [libvirt-glib] Add gvir_domain_get_saved()

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Fri Feb 17 16:19:22 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 05:56:19PM +0200, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Christophe Fergeau <cfergeau at redhat.com> wrote:
> > This naming convention for getters is probably only useful for vala, I
> > think bindings for dynamic languages will introspect object properties at
> > runtime and use g_object_get().
>
> Well, vala will also do the same but setting properties through that
> is known to be considerably slower than using the getter/setter
> directly (because of the type checks etc invovled in case of
> g_object_get).

Yes, and I'm not saying we should go this way.

> >So the decision to make is between making
> > the API nicer to read for C users VS making life slightly easier for some
> > bindings.
>
> That is not the decision at all for me since I don't see anyone other
> than you complaining about the various gtk+ APIs following this
> convention. If you can cite examples of C developers complaining about
> it, that would be convincing argument to me.

This is such a small annoyance that noone will complain only about it, but
the difference between an okayish API and a great API to use lies in all
these small details. I'm quite sure I've seen people making fun of
_get_has_xxx though. And you also agreed that _is_ was better than _get_ in
that email link I gave: "I admit that sounds better", so it's not just me
(and I think most people would say _is_xxx is better, and not many people
would answer upfront "oh, all g* APIs use get_xxx so you should use this").

> > Would a Rename to: annotation help vala here? Or is there some annotation I
> > don't know of to mark property getters/setters?
>
> Maybe? But I don't think we are that desperate yet. :)

Why? You are the one insisting that the vala bindings are as efficient as
possible, it would be nice to know exactly what options we have.

Christophe