[libvirt] RFC: Post-install behavior of libvirt(-client)

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Feb 20 17:55:21 UTC 2012

On 02/14/2012 03:17 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 02/14/2012 01:37 AM, Martin Kletzander wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I have a small bug #786770 [1] assigned and I discussed this with few
>> people from our team but I'm still not sure what should be the proper
>> fix for this bug.
>

> with a similar wording for systemd:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Systemd
>
>>> Why don't we....
>>>
>>>     Start the service after installation?
>>>
>>> Installations can be in changeroots, in an installer context, or in other situations where you don't want the services autostarted.
>
> libvirtd is network-listening, libvirt-guests is not; but libvirt-guests
> without libvirtd isn't quite as useful.
>
> I'm starting to lean towards option 1 - we should install, but not
> start, services.

Another wrinkle to the question:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Starting_services_by_default

documents that services must not be enabled by default if it is
network-enabled, unless it has FESCo approval.  libvirtd is
network-enabled, since it can be configured to accept connections from
the outside world; but its default configuration is useful without
network configuration.  Likewise, libvirt-guests is primarily useful for
only local guests, but it can be argued that since it can connect to
hypervisors over a network, it is network-enabled.  Do we need to apply
for FESCo exception on either of these two services?