[libvirt] kvm-qemu emulator problem

Michal Novotny minovotn at redhat.com
Thu Jan 5 09:44:20 UTC 2012

Hi,

the libvirt XML configuration file is having the emulator set and if you
start the guest using libvirt (e.g. using virsh start <guest>) then it's
being used.

You can find the path to the emulator used for the VM in
//domain/devices/emulator xPath query applied on the XML file, i.e.:

<domain type='kvm'>
<os>
<type arch='i686' machine='pc-0.14'>hvm</type>
<boot dev='hd'/>
</os>
<devices>
<emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-kvm</emulator>
</devices>
</domain>

Here, the "/usr/bin/qemu-kvm" is the emulator string to be spawned. If
you change into any other existing location it will work fine. Also, for
x86_64 guest you should change the architecture type of OS from i686 to
x86_64 (which is the "//domain/os/type/@arch" node).

But beware, you should define the XML first and start it using the
"virsh start" command since if you create it using "virsh create" then
it's being created with default emulator and I don't know whether it's
possible to change the default emulator.

Hope this helps!
Michal

On 01/05/2012 10:14 AM, Pankaj Rawat wrote:

> Hi all ,
>
> I am trying to use fvd for my guest machine for that I refer the link
>
> http://sites.google.com/site/tangchq/qemu-fvd
>
> now all works fine except the last step which said that if libvirt is
> used then the xml configuration file need to be changed to include the
> modified emulator *qemu-system-x86_64*
>
> The default path is /usr/libexec/qemu-kvm
>
> But the change in xml configuration file is of no use which is in
> */etc/libvirt/qemu* directory. Since it is created when the guest is
> created using virt-install.
>
> Well I don’t know how I can change the default path for emulator, so
> that qemu-system-x86_64 act as a default emulator
>
> can anyone help ?
>
> DISCLAIMER:
> intended
> for the named recipient(s) only.
> It shall not attach any liability on the originator or NECHCL or its
> this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the
> opinions of NECHCL or its affiliates.
> Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
> distribution and / or publication of
> this message without the prior written consent of the author of this e-mail is
> strictly prohibited. If you have
> immediately. .

Michal Novotny <minovotn at redhat.com>, RHCE, Red Hat
Virtualization | libvirt-php bindings | php-virt-control.org