[libvirt] ALERT Virtualization Automatic Builder

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri Jan 13 23:01:19 UTC 2012

On 01/13/2012 03:19 PM, berrange at redhat.com wrote:
> Overall status: failed
> Start date: Fri Jan 13 2012
> Start time: 22:05:02 UTC / 17:05:02 EST
> Build counter: 1326492302
> Build timestamp: 1326492302
>

> Module: libvirt

Aargh - daemon-conf failed again.  It feels like on a heavily-loaded
machine, our SIGINT is arriving prior to the just-spawned daemon having
a chance to register its own handler.  I'm wondering if we could make
the test more robust by doing some variant of 'virsh -c test:///default
connect', while forcing it to connect to the socket we just created,
before issuing the kill; on the grounds that if startup took longer than
normal, at least the fact that virsh was able to connect means that it
is far enough along to accept SIGINT gracefully.

Meanwhile, in looking at the test, I realized that libvirtd --timeout
isn't very useful in a default installation - that's because the timeout
is never hit if there is active state, but the fact that we install an
automatic virStoragePool 'default' means that there is always active
state.  Should we change libvirtd.c:daemonShutdownCheck to merely check
whether there are active client connections, rather than its current
check of whether there are any active libvirt objects?  That is, we
don't want the daemon to shut down while there are active connections,
but I don't see why active libvirt objects should keep the daemon alive,
since we've already gone to great lengths to make sure that active
objects persist over a libvirtd restart.  That is, letting --timeout
force a daemon shutdown when there are active objects but no active
connections, and then restarting the daemon later when we want a
connection again, should see no difference (the new daemon will
reconstruct the same active objects) compared to leaving the daemon
alive the whole time because of the active objects.