[libvirt] Using Libvirt to change the bridge a virtual network card of a running vm is connected to

Ralf Spenneberg software at opensource-security.de
Fri Jan 20 16:05:25 UTC 2012

Hi there,

we are using libvirt to manage our VMs. We have several VMs connected to
different bridges on the same physical KVM host. We need to change the
bridge a virtual machine is connected to once in a while. Currently we
are just using brctl to do that. Since this needs to be done over the
network we would like to use the Libvirtd. Currently this does not seem
possible. We have not found any interface or function within the libvirt
library to implement this in a live VM. Only shutdown VMs may be changed
via editing the XML representation.

Is there any reason for that? Could such a function be easily
implemented?

Everything but the source bridge would stay the same. It works fine
manually via brctl.

Any thoughts?

Ralf Spenneberg