[libvirt] Build issue with libvirt 0.9.8

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Tue Jan 31 11:27:28 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 02:18:02PM +0100, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 11:18:48AM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >
> > There is something odd about the way it is being built:
>
> > The combination of these 3 sets of messages, makes me think you have
> > confused libtool into linking to the old binary
> >
> > What arguments are you passing to 'configure' and what if any variables
> > are you passing to 'make install' ?
>
> Yes, jhbuild is being a bit convoluted when building things, it uses
> ./configure --prefix $prefix ..., but then it does a
> make install DESTDIR=$prefix/_jhbuild (or something like this), and
> then it moves the files to the right place in $prefix after cleaning up the
> old version of the library that might be there. I just tried without
> using jhbuild to build libvirt, but just the tarballs, and I can reproduce
> when using make install DESTDIR=... and then cleaning $prefix from libvirt
> libs, and then copying what's in DESTDIR to $prefix. Not sure it's worth
> spending a lot of time on this convoluted scenario :)

I looked some more into it, and I think what happens is that:
- libvirt.so gets installed to $DESTDIR/$libdir
- libvirt-qemu.so gets relinked by libtool during installation, but uses
  libvirt from $libdir for this relink
- $libdir/libvirt.so gets replaced with $DESDIR/$libdir/libvirt.so
- libvirt-qemu.so now has some references to a library that has now
  disappeared

http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Install-mode.html
seems to indicate this scenario cannot be supported correctly :(
"For systems where fast installation can not be turned on, relinking may be
needed. In this case, a ‘DESTDIR’ install will fail.

Currently it is not generally possible to install into a temporary staging
area that contains needed third-party libraries which are not yet visible
at their final location. "

(I think linux doesn't have fast installation)

Christophe