[libvirt] trying to build 0.9.13 on F17: cannot find -lcrypto

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Thu Jul 12 12:20:11 UTC 2012

Hey,

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 03:42:20PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:23:21AM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> > I think this comes from rbd support, from configure.ac:
> >
> > LIBRBD_LIBS="-lrbd -lrados -lcrypto"
> >
> > from this commit:
> >
> > http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=commit;h=74951eadef85e2d100c7dc7bd9ae1093fbda722f
> >
> > What's missing here? RPM BuildRequires, configure change, ...?
>
> If rbd is include '-lcrypto' in its pkgconfig line, then its
> RPM is responsible for ensuring BuildRequires is set in its
> own -devel package. So sounds like there's BR missing there.

ceph-devel does not seem to come with a pkgconfig file, and the LIBRBD_LIBS
line Cole quoted comes from libvirt's own configure.ac. I've checked with
ldd that nor librbd nor librados link with libcrypto.

If libcrypto is needed for rbd support, then libvirt should check itself
that libcrypto is present.  All of this would indeed be much simpler if
ceph shipped a pkgconfig file...

Christophe