[libvirt] Question about contribution

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Jul 16 09:20:18 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 09:10:23AM +0000, Benjamin Wang (gendwang) wrote:
> Hi,
>   I am from Cisco. Now we want to use and contribute to Libvirt.
> One simple question is as following:
> If our product needs a new feature for Libvirt, what is the process
> to submit our contribution to Libvirt? Must we be approved by some
> committee?

No, libvirt contribution does not have any such complex process. Decisions
on whether a feature is accepted are based on "rough consensus" agreement
by the maintainers on this list. Anyone on this list is free to put forward
points in favour / or against a proposed feature, and the maintainers will
look to see what the general viewpoint is and make a decision. If the
feature fits within the scope of the libvirt API, then it is rare that we
would reject it outright - usually the worst is that we suggest a different
approach to achieve the same result.

So if your feature is expected to require non-trivial development work, and
particularly if it adds new public APIs, then it is worth describing your
rough design on this mailing list before you start coding. This allows
people to suggest how to best fit your feature into the libvirt architecture,
hopefully avoiding the need for you to do complex re-writing 1/2 way through
coding. The other important thing is to make sure you follow the coding
standards in the HACKING file, and generally try to make your code fit in
with the style of existing work.