[libvirt] Looking for libvirt for RHEL 6.1 to provide Memory related metrics.

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Jun 6 21:32:21 UTC 2012

On 06/06/2012 12:28 PM, Roy, Kallol wrote:
> Including the libvirt-list group into the loop.

Thanks.  Next, can you convince your mailer to wrap long lines?  Also,
this list tends to frown on top-posting.

I reiterate my earlier advice - if you are using RHEL, your best course
of action is to take full advantage of your RHEL subscription and open a
support ticket with Red Hat, rather than asking random developers on the
upstream list.  The RHEL support team knows exactly what the RHEL build
of libvirt supports, including which features have been backported into
the RHEL build when compared to the same version number from the
upstream tarball.

> Next is do I get any information as which counters/metrics are being enabled with each of the new version of libvirt being released? The latest rpm I do see on the ftp://libvirt.org/libvirt/ is for Fedora.  How about the last one (.gz) Can it be installed on Linux?

Yes, we strive for upstream libvirt to be compilable on all builds of
GNU/Linux systems.  But when you use the upstream version of libvirt on
RHEL, you no longer have the advantage of RHEL support for libvirt - you
are somewhat on your own figuring out how to take advantage of the newer
features that are present in your self-built libvirt.  This list will
try to answer questions, but the people on this list are not a paid
support team; even the redhat.com addresses on this mailing list tend to
be in a different group at Red Hat than what you would interact with
when opening a support ticket.

> libvirt-0.9.12-1.fc16.src.rpm
> libvirt-0.9.12-1.fc16.x86_64.rpm
> libvirt-0.9.12.tar.gz
>
> Is a particular libvirt version tightly coupled to a RHEL version?

The RHEL-supported version of libvirt is specific (after all, the point
of paying for a RHEL subscription is that you get a stable, well-tested
version, with bug fixes backported, rather than chasing an unstable goal
of the latest upstream).  But that does not mean that you cannot run
newer libvirt on RHEL if you build it yourself.

> Can I use "yum update" to upgrade my libvirt libraries to something latest?

If you use supported RHEL upgrade methods, then you will have the latest
supported RHEL build of libvirt; the version number may be smaller than
the latest upstream number, but you can be assured that critical bug
fixes are backported into the RHEL build.

> Currently my environment which RHEL 6.1 has the following libvrt libraries and I would like to upgrade to a higher version of libvirt. If you can let me know your expert opinion.

RHEL 6.1 is a bit outdated; RHEL 6.2 is the latest stable release, and
RHEL 6.3 is in beta.