[libvirt] pointless time-consuming test 'virsh-all'

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Thu Jun 7 12:31:08 UTC 2012

On 06/07/2012 02:22 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 06/07/2012 02:24 AM, Martin Kletzander wrote:
>> On 06/07/2012 05:32 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
>>> The command 'make -C tests check' takes forever, because it is calling
>>> this lengthy virsh command and ignoring the failures:
>>>
>>> $ time tools/virsh -c test:///default connect
>>> error: Failed to connect to the hypervisor
>>> error: Failed to connect socket to
>>> '/run/user/eblake/libvirt/libvirt-sock': No such file or directory
>>>

>>> real	0m21.070s
>>> user	0m0.027s
>>> sys	0m0.036s
>>>
>>> The test looks quite broken - ALL it is currently doing is wasting 21
>>> seconds on this one iteration, because it ignores output and exit status
>>> (what else _is_ there, besides effects to the file system)?
>
> This part is still true - the test in its current incarnation is wasted,
> because it ignores output and exit status, even if you don't hit a delay.

I don't exactly know how these tests work, so I'll have a look at it,
but I don't promise anything.

>> $ time tools/virsh -c test:///default connect
>>

>> real	0m0.048s
>
> Odd.  Looks like I have some debugging to do, then (it might be related
> to how I have my $HOME mounted).

I'm compiling and testing the code with '--system' specified, so that
might have something to do with it. I'll try some magic and in case you
want me to try something, just ping me ;)

Martin