[libvirt] pointless time-consuming test 'virsh-all'

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jun 8 12:51:13 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 09:32:08PM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
> The command 'make -C tests check' takes forever, because it is calling
> this lengthy virsh command and ignoring the failures:
>
> $ time tools/virsh -c test:///default connect
> error: Failed to connect to the hypervisor
> error: Failed to connect socket to
> '/run/user/eblake/libvirt/libvirt-sock': No such file or directory
>

> real	0m21.070s
> user	0m0.027s
> sys	0m0.036s
>
> The test looks quite broken - ALL it is currently doing is wasting 21
> seconds on this one iteration, because it ignores output and exit status
> (what else _is_ there, besides effects to the file system)?

Woah, you are requesting the 'test' URI which should be 100%
client side, but for some reason it is trying to connect to
libvirtd. That is the primary bug here.

The secondary issue is why it takes 20 seconds to fail to
connect. I suspect that the 'libvirtd' binary in your
path is from an older release that uses $HOME/.libvirt/libvirt-sock
for the session daemon. So libvirt is repeatedly trying to
autospawn libvirtd but it never listens on the socket it
expects. In normal deployments thus should never be a problem,
but in test suite, we should already be setting $PATH to include
the locally built libvirtd first.