[libvirt] Multiple KVM virtio console is not working.

Pankaj Rawat pankaj.rawat at nechclst.in
Mon Jun 11 06:59:41 UTC 2012

Let me explain our scenario:
We need to provide multiple console options so that from Host, user can login into the KVM guest using different console.

Environment - Fedora 17 (Host), Fedora 17 (Guest)
Libvirt version installed - 0.9.11

On Host, we have edit the guest XMl file and added for the multiple virtio console entry:

<console type='pty'>
       <target type='virtio'/>
</console>
<console type='pty'>
       <target type='virtio'/>
</console>

We are able to connect to guest via serial console device. works fine.
#virsh console guest

We are unable to connect to guest via virtio console. Not working.
#virsh console --devname console1 guest

We login using the serial console into guest and check the lsmod command, So the virtio console driver module is not loaded.
Also the getty process is not running for different virtio console devices.
So i manually load the virtio console (virtio_console.ko) module -> Even then i am unable to login using the virtio console.
In the guest, /dev/hvc[0-7] is present.

Pls tell us whether we are missing any configuration or settings on Host/Guest side.

Regards
Pankaj Rawat

DISCLAIMER:

intended

for the named recipient(s) only.

It shall not attach any liability on the originator or NECHCL or its

this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the

opinions of NECHCL or its affiliates.

distribution and / or publication of

this message without the prior written consent of the author of this e-mail is

strictly prohibited. If you have

immediately. .