[libvirt] [Spice-devel] RFC: spice-server default listen behaviour change

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Fri Jun 15 09:27:45 UTC 2012

On 06/15/12 11:02, David Jaša wrote:
> Gerd Hoffmann píše v Pá 15. 06. 2012 v 10:36 +0200:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> This is pretty important wrt dual-stack configurations because they can
>>> be implemented with just slight changes to spice server (unlike the old
>>> RFE requesting listening on multiple addresses):
>>>
>>> * when no addr= or ipvx options are set, listen on ::0
>>
>> spice-server sets "ai.ai_flags = AI_PASSIVE | AI_ADDRCONFIG", which
>> should make getaddrinfo() pick something reasonable, specifically listen
>> on ipv6 only if the machine actually has ipv6 connectivity.
>>

> I don't think that listening on IPv6 exclusively is good when the host
> has both IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity.

Huh?  Oh, I see you can read the sentence two ways:

(1) specifically listen on ipv6 only, if the machine actually has ipv6
connectivity

(2) specifically listen on ipv6, only if the machine actually has ipv6
connectivity

I mean (2), i.e. do not create a ipv6 socket if the machine has no ipv6
connectivity.

When creating a ipv6 socket IPV6_ONLY should be clear by default indeed,
so both ipv4 and ipv6 will work.

cheers,
  Gerd