[libvirt] Fwd: libvirt secret support password or encryption keys?

Zhimou Peng zhpeng at redhat.com
Wed Jun 20 02:32:55 UTC 2012

Hi Eric,

I'm not understand this before. Thanks!

zhpeng
BR

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Blake" <eblake at redhat.com>
To: "Zhimou Peng" <zhpeng at redhat.com>
Cc: libvir-list at redhat.com, "s3-bug-review" <s3-bug-review at redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:22:08 AM
Subject: Re: [libvirt] Fwd: libvirt secret support password or encryption keys?

On 06/19/2012 03:38 AM, Zhimou Peng wrote:
> FWD
>
> Hi, all
> PLS help, i'm reviewing man doc of libvirt secrets
>
> # man virsh
> SECRET COMMMANDS
>        The following commands manipulate "secrets" (e.g. passwords, passphrases       -----> secret-set-value only support base64 "passphrases"

secret-set-value supports _all_ types of secrets, since a secret is
_any_ base64-encoded text.  Whether you use that secret information as a
password, a passphrase, and encryption key, or something else is up to
how you have connected that secret to the rest of your virtual machine
management.

>        and encryption keys).  Libvirt can store secrets independently from their
>        use, and other objects (e.g. volumes or domains) can refer to the secrets
>        for encryption or possibly other uses.  Secrets are identified using an
>        UUID.  See <http://libvirt.org/formatsecret.html> for documentation of
>        the XML format used to represent properties of secrets.
>
> So, I want to know that if libvirt support other 2 kinds of "secrets". And if so, How to use password and encrytion keys ? If libvirt not support that, i will file a bug of this man doc.

I'm not sure where you are getting confused; would it help if the man
page for 'secret-set-value' used the term 'secret' instead of
'passphrase', since 'secret' is the generic term for any base64-encoded
data that must be kept secret?  You are welcome to submit a patch
yourself; the man page source is in tools/virsh.pod.