[libvirt] Intend to add OVA installation API

Ata Bohra ata.husain at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 24 22:05:00 UTC 2012

Thanks Doug for your suggestions.

I believe you are correct about the relation between OVA and OVF. But I am not 100 % possitive about your suggestion: "defining an appropriate domain in libvirt". To understand better I am sharing more details about my plans:

1. Enhance libvirt interface code (libvirt.c) to provide a domain-independent routine: virDomainCreateOVA, an alternate API to create domain.
    To make client code real simple, this routine can take ova path as input and internally strip the OVA to extract required details. (planning to define a struct to hold all essential
    information).
2. Second, to enhance ESX driver to perform ESX specfic calls.

Given OVA is a tar file, the parsing is just another file open/read operation; it would be simple to perform it inside domain_conf.c (infact I have written a parser to strip information off OVA already).

Hope to get some comments/suggestions on above steps.

Thanks!
Ata

CC: libvir-list at redhat.com