[libvirt] Fwd: Re: Intend to add OVA installation API

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Mon Jun 25 07:05:40 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 10:47:01PM -0400, Bob Cochran wrote:
> Ooops, I should have sent this to the list. I want to support Doug's
> suggestion, thanks.
>
> Bob Cochran

  Apparently that's what VMW defined somehow. I find a bit disturbing
that they used tar instead of some zip, as a ZIP can record indexes of
the parts and one doesn't have to scan the full tar to get the last
fragment for example.

> > virtualappliance.ova package.ovf is an XML file containing the
> > description of the hardware of the virtual machine, much like the XML
> > that libvirt stores about domains. While en-US-resources.xml would be
> > the US English descriptions of the machine and its hardware.

  I looked at some resources on OVF a long time ago when starting
libvirt and strugging with the XML content. There are of course some
commonalities, but the ovf is a bit of a higher level from my POV.

> > I'm suggesting you write an application that transforms package.ovf
> > into libvirt's own domain XML format and simply call
> > virDomainDefineXML() rather than adding API to libvirt itself. You
> > could then further extend the application to allow you to take a
> > libvirt domain and export it as a OVA.

  I'm sure one would have to pick some preferences as I think the OVF
data would be kind of a subset, but based on a given runtime environemnt
that should be easy. On a more general way it may be a bit hard.

> > Looking at VMWare and Xen, they both treat OVA/OVF as a foreign format
> > and require a converter application to import them to their native
> > internals so it wouldn't be much different than their approach.

  Yes the problem is that the data defined in the OVF is not 100%
sufficient to run the guest (or guests as you can have mutiple
instances in one OVF IIRC, but I assume it seldomly used !)