[libvirt] Fwd: In Use tracker for network and pci-passthrough devices: Laine response

Shradha Shah sshah at solarflare.com
Thu Jun 28 10:48:46 UTC 2012

This is a reply from Osier Yang
> though, as a public discussion of the design will give you a better
> chance of your first revision getting successfully past review :-))
>
> On 06/26/2012 07:23 AM, Shradha Shah wrote:
>> Laine,
>>
>> I have submitted my v2 patches for forward mode='hostdev' and am planning to work on the in-use tracker for network
>> and pci-passthrough devices.
>>
>> I am unable to wrap my head around how I should be implementing this functionality. I am unable to decide at what
>> level I should be implementing this (network, domain or qemu).
>>
>> May I ask for your guidance in order to implement this functionality?
>>

> Yes, but I'm currently on vacation (in Turkey) so I won't have much time
> to respond until July 9 when I return.
>
> In the meantime, I think the right way to do this is by integrating with
> the code in the qemu driver that keeps track of which PCI devices are in
> use. This already happens at the very basic level of "if the device
> allocated by the network driver is in use, the attempt to assign the
> device will fail"; instead, the network driver should be able to ask
> qemu if the device it wants to allocate to the guest is already in use
> (and reserve it, in one atomic operation).

Hi, Shradha, Laine,

I have not read your patches for "forward=hostdev" carefully, so
not sure if I can give right direction, but let me try:

It looks like what you will do is just reserve the vf or pf from host,
and when the vf/pf is attached to domain or used in other ways, you
want it to be marked as in-use, am I correct?

If so, it should be not hard to do, for each PCI device, we have a
field named "used_by", to stores the domain name which uses it, and in
qemu driver, we have two list "activePciHostdevs", "inactivePciHostdevs"
of pciDeviceList type.

"activePciHostdevs" holds the PCI devices which are in used by all
the qemu domains, and "inactivePciHostdevs" holds the PCI devices
detached from the host, and not used by any domain. Basicly the purpose
of "inactivePciHostdevs" is to resolve the problem of pci device
resetting on two PCI devices share the same bus. See commit 6be610bf
for more details.

So that means,  updating the "used_by" field of the pci device,
"activePciHostdevs", and "inactivePciHostdevs" all happens
while attaching the interface to domain, or detaching it from the
domain, or when domain starting, or when the domain is shutdown.

E.g, attaching the interface to domain (assuming the attachment
succeeded), it needs to do:

1) Set "used_by" as the domain name
2) Insert the device to "activePciHostdevs" list.
3) Remove the device from "inactivePciHostdevs" list if it was
   there.

Porcess of detaching is just opposite with above. However, the
whole process is much more complicated than the 3 listed steps.

I found you introduce new members for virNetworkForwardIfDef:

 struct _virNetworkForwardIfDef {
-    char *dev;      /* name of device */
+    int type;
+    union {
+        virDevicePCIAddress pci; /*PCI Address of device */
+        /* when USB devices are supported a new variable to be added here */
+        char *dev;      /* name of device */
+    }device;
+    int usageCount; /* how many guest interfaces are bound to this device? */
+};

So why don't use pciDevice. e.g.

 struct _virNetworkForwardIfDef {
    char *dev;      /* name of device */
    int type;
    union {
        pciDevice pci; /*PCI Address of device */
        /* when USB devices are supported a new variable to be added here */
        char *dev;      /* name of device */
    } device;
    int usageCount; /* how many guest interfaces are bound to this device? */
};

You can add usbDevice there once it's supported. That means
you can reuse the existed codes for pci and devices management
of qemu driver.

> Of course, once the network driver has reserved the device from qemu's
> PCI passthrough code, it would return that device to the qemu driver
> code that wants to attach the interface, and it would fail because it
> would be told the device is already in use (well, yeah! *We* just marked
> it as in-use!). To make that work, I guess some sort of
> cookie/handle/pointer would need to be passed from qemu's pci
> passthrough code back to the network driver, and the network driver
> would return it back to qemu's network interface attach code, which
> would then use that special cookie/handle/pointer to attach the device
> (saying "yeah, I know it's already in use, and here's my pass-card").
>
> (Talking about this makes me think that the code that keeps track of PCI
> device allocation shouldn't really be a part of qemu, but should be a
> separate module, so that the network driver can still function properly
> even if the qemu driver isn't loaded.)

Agreed. That should resolve the problem of data sharing between
network and hypervisor drivers.

> Another twist to this that should be considered - if any particular
> device is in use by at least one guest for one of the macvtap modes,
> that device also needs to be marked as in-use in libvirt's pci device
> table - it would be disastrous if another guest decided to use that
> device for standard PCI Passthrough.
>
> (Keep in mind that I wrote everything above without even once looking at
> the code or any other reference, so you should take it with a grain of
> salt!)

Many Thanks,
Regards,
Shradha Shah