[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] Modern CPU models cannot be used with libvirt

Gleb Natapov gleb at redhat.com
Sun Mar 11 16:27:56 UTC 2012

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 10:41:32AM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:

> >>Well the simple answer for libvirt is don't use -nodefconfig and
> >>then it can reuse the CPU definitions (including any that the user
> >>adds).
> >CPU models should be usable even with -nodefconfig. CPU model is more
> >like device. By -cpu Nehalem I am saying I want Nehalem device in my
> >machine.
>
> Let's say we moved CPU definitions to /usr/share/qemu/cpu-models.xml.
>
> Obviously, we'd want a command line option to be able to change that
> location so we'd introduce -cpu-models PATH.
>
> But we want all of our command line options to be settable by the
> global configuration file so we would have a cpu-model=PATH to the
> configuration file.
>
> But why hard code a path when we can just set the default path in
> the configuration file so let's avoid hard coding and just put
> cpu-models=/usr/share/qemu/cpu-models.xml in the default
> configuration file.

We have two places where we define cpu models: hardcoded in
target-i386/cpuid.c and in target-x86_64.conf. We moved them out to conf
file because this way it is easier to add, update, examine compare CPU
models. But they still should be treated as essential part of qemu. Given
this I do not see the step above as a logical one. CPU models are not
part of machine config.  "-cpu Nehalem,-sse,level=3,model=5" is part of
machine config.

What if we introduce a way to write devices in LUA. Should -nodefconfig
drop devices implemented as LUA scripts too?

--
			Gleb.