[libvirt] Problem with Open vSwitch and dnsmasq

Ansis Atteka aatteka at nicira.com
Thu Mar 22 17:54:21 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 6:10 AM, Daniele Milani <dano1988 at hotmail.it> wrote:

>  Dear all,
> I have the following situation:
> -I replaced the standard bridge driver with the Open VSwitch one;
> -I started a NAT-network on Libvirt (bridge name virbr1);
> -I started a Virtual Machine (VM1) on Libvirt, and I tagged his interface
> (vnet0) with tag=2;
> -if I run "# ovs-vsctl show" I obtain:
>
> Bridge "virbr1"
>         Port "vnet0"
>             tag: 2
>             Interface "vnet0"
>         Port "virbr1-nic"
>             Interface "virb1-nic"
>         Port "virbr1"
>             Interface "virbr1"
>                 type: internal
>
> -the problem is that it is impossible to assign to VM1 an IP, because the
> dnsmasq daemon does not accept the tagged DHCP Discover frame.
>
> Does someone know if there is a way for dnsmasq to accept tagged frames
> through "virbr1", and send a tagged DHCP Offer packet back to VM1?
>
> I believe you would need to run dedicated dnsmasq process instance per
each VLAN that you have. By
default I guess dnsmasq runs on virbr1, hence it does not see the tagged
traffic that comes from vnet0.

You could try to:

   1. add another port to that bridge with the same VLAN as VM has. And run
   a separate instance of dnsmasq there; or
   2. change the tag of virb1 port, but this might lead to other issues
   (e.g. then non-tagged VMs will not get DHCP leases).

Perhaps someone else can suggest something easier...

Greetings,