[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] Modern CPU models cannot be used with libvirt

Anthony Liguori anthony at codemonkey.ws
Mon Mar 26 19:00:51 UTC 2012

On 03/25/2012 01:09 PM, Avi Kivity wrote:

>>> So is this the point?  Reducing startup time?
>>
>> Yes, that's one reason.  But maybe a user wants to have a whole
>> different set of machine types and doesn't care to have the ones we
>> provide.  Why prevent a user from doing this?
>
> How are we preventing a user from doing it?  In what way is -nodefconfig
> helping it?

Let me explain it in a different way, perhaps.

We launch smbd in QEMU in order to do file sharing over slirp.  One of the
historic problems we've had is that we don't assume root privileges, yet want to
be able to run smbd without using any of the system configuration files.

You can do this by specify -s with the config file, and then in the config file
you can overload the various default paths (like private dir, lock dir, etc.).
In some cases, earlier versions of smbd didn't allow you to change private dir.

You should be able to tell a well behaved tool not to read any
configuration/data files and explicitly tell it where/how to read them.  We
cannot exhaustively anticipate every future use case of QEMU.

But beyond the justification for -nodefconfig, the fact is that it exists today,
and has a specific semantic.  If we want to have a different semantic, we should
introduce a new option (-no-user-config).

Regards,

Anthony Liguori