[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] Modern CPU models cannot be used with libvirt

Anthony Liguori anthony at codemonkey.ws
Mon Mar 26 19:03:05 UTC 2012

On 03/26/2012 04:08 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
>>> If I see something like -nodefconfig, I assume it will create a bare
>>> bones guest that will not depend on any qemu defaults and will be stable
>>> across releases.
>>
>> That's not even close to what -nodefconfig is.  That's pretty much
>> what -nodefaults is but -nodefaults has also had a fluid definition
>> historically.
>
> Okay.  Let's just make sure to document -nodefconfig as version specific
> and -nodefaults as the stable way to create a bare bones guest (and
> define exactly what that means).

Agreed.  But I do want to point out, that -nodefaults has not been stable and
since it doesn't universally create a bare bones guest, it's not clear that it
will be.

I think what we want to move toward is a -no-machine option which allows a user
to explicitly build a machine from scratch.  That is:

qemu -no-machine -device i440fx,id=host -device isa-serial,chr=chr0 ...

Regards,

Anthony Liguori