[libvirt] Constantly changing USB product ID

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.nl
Wed Mar 28 23:51:21 UTC 2012

Quoting Doug Goldstein <cardoe at gentoo.org>:

> FWIW, if someone needs a device to test a potential patch with just
> take any rooted Android phone. e.g. an HTC at the HBOOT menu presents
> itself as a different product ID than when the phone is normally
> booted. You can also do this with an iPhone, just hold down the power
> and the home button to boot it into a "recovery" mode where it'll have
> a different product ID than normal.

Okay, thanks; so now I know that it's not just badly designed hardware
that may do this. My device, however, is not a smart-phone or some
other consumer device: it's a scanner with a rotating drum on which to
mount flexible, reusable photographic plates from an X-ray machine.
It's rather expensive too. Of course, it only works with a Windows
application. Can you imagine a legitimate reason why a machine like
this might keep flipping its product ID?

Cheers,

Jaap