[libvirt] [RFC 0/5] block: File descriptor passing using -open-hook-fd

Anthony Liguori aliguori at us.ibm.com
Tue May 1 20:25:42 UTC 2012

Thanks for sending this out Stefan.

On 05/01/2012 10:31 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> Libvirt can take advantage of SELinux to restrict the QEMU process and prevent
> it from opening files that it should not have access to.  This improves
> security because it prevents the attacker from escaping the QEMU process if
> they manage to gain control.
>
> NFS has been a pain point for SELinux because it does not support labels (which
> I believe are stored in extended attributes).  In other words, it's not
> possible to use SELinux goodness on QEMU when image files are located on NFS.
> Today we have to allow QEMU access to any file on the NFS export rather than
> restricting specifically to the image files that the guest requires.
>
> File descriptor passing is a solution to this problem and might also come in
> handy elsewhere.  Libvirt or another external process chooses files which QEMU
> is allowed to access and provides just those file descriptors - QEMU cannot
> open the files itself.
>
> This series adds the -open-hook-fd command-line option.  Whenever QEMU needs to
> open an image file it sends a request over the given UNIX domain socket.  The
> response includes the file descriptor or an errno on failure.  Please see the
> patches for details on the protocol.
>
> The -open-hook-fd approach allows QEMU to support file descriptor passing
> without changing -drive.  It also supports snapshot_blkdev and other commands
> that re-open image files.
>
> Anthony Liguori<aliguori at us.ibm.com>  wrote most of these patches.  I added a
> demo -open-hook-fd server and added some small fixes.  Since Anthony is
> traveling right now I'm sending the RFC for discussion.

What I like about this approach is that it's useful outside the block layer and
is conceptionally simple from a QEMU PoV.  We simply delegate open() to libvirt
and let libvirt enforce whatever rules it wants.

This is not meant to be an alternative to blockdev, but even with blockdev, I
think we still want to use a mechanism like this even with blockdev.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori