[libvirt] ANNOUNCE: Stable release libvirt-0.9.11.2

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed May 2 06:50:52 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 01:22:37AM -0500, Doug Goldstein wrote:
> On May 1, 2012, at 10:19 PM, Daniel Veillard <veillard at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:43:32AM -0700, Jason Helfman wrote:
> >> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 01:38:27PM -0500, Doug Goldstein thus spake:
> >>>

> >> Ok, but having the same download path is just as confusing, as it looks like
> >> an update to 0.9.11, when it is a different release.

> >  Okay, I created a stable_updates subdirectory on the download area
> > (Cole you own it !) and moved the 3 existing releases there.
> > I think that:
> >   - avoid confusion with usual releases
> >   - makes clear that they are updates
> >   - remove the need to change the names or releases
> > i.e. it resolves the confusion in the simplest way and allow to point
> > to the exact location for each content.
> >
> > Cole, would you mind updating the docs to point to that new
> > sub-directory ?
> >
> >   thanks,
> >
> > Daniel
> >
> Speaking as a distro package maintainer this kind of sucks since this
> is a special case but if 0.9.11.x confuses people then so be it.

  I think we need to separate those maintainance releases as they are
not made using the usual upstream process. It's in a sense arbitrary
based on Fedora schedule and bug flow (though I would hope other distro
chime in to suggest their prefered patches to backport in).
  Using a separate directory but keeping the name seems the simplest to
me.

> [...] Can we expect the same behavior for libxml
> as well then?

  Nahh ... :-) there is far more workforce for libvirt than libxml2
I'm still struggling with the backlog needed to process before making
a very needed release there, but that's completely different, the
dynamic of the two projects have nothing in common :-)