[libvirt] How to use a Virtio-serial port

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Tue May 15 08:43:40 UTC 2012

On 15.05.2012 09:06, Pankaj Rawat wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I want to use virtio-serial
>
> For this I changes my  guest xml
>
> <channel type='pty'>
>
>       <target type='virtio' name='arbitrary.virtio.serial.port.name'/>
>
>  </channel>
>

> This create a virtio port in guest as follow
>

> # ls -l /dev/virtio-ports/
>
> lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 11 May 15 02:59
> arbitrary.virtio.serial.port.name -> ../vport0p1
>

> Now I want to use this port
>
> What type of application use this port for communication and how can I
> use it ?

When you start your domain and then dump its XML it will look like this:

    <channel type='pty'>
      <source path='/dev/pts/12'/>
      <target type='virtio' name='arbitrary.virtio.serial.port.name'/>
      <alias name='channel0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='2'/>
    </channel>

So one end of the channel is inside the domain under
/dev/virtio-ports/arbitrary.virtio.serial.port.name and the other one is
under /dev/pts/12 in the host. Therefore running:

(guest) cat /dev/virtio-ports/arbitrary.virtio.serial.port.name
(host) echo "Hello world" > /dev/pts/12

will do all the magic. You can use any tool that is able to work with
unix domain sockets. I personally use socat [1].

1: http://www.dest-unreach.org/socat/