[libvirt] dhcp6, radvd, ip6tables, etc. (update)

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Thu Nov 1 15:22:11 UTC 2012

On 11/01/2012 10:08 AM, Dave Allan wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 07:25:45AM -0400, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
>
>> Doing some looking, it appears that RHEL6.3 uses libvirt-0.8.7 and
>> CentOS6.3 uses libvirt-0.9.10.  I can see some group wanting to
> Just for the record, RHEL6.3 uses libvirt-0.9.10.

OK, as far as I am concerned, the critical thing is what parameters will
work with dnsmasq-2.48 so that if libvirt-1.0.0 was rebuilt and
installed on (for example) CentOS 6.3, that dnsmasq-2.48 will work.

First of all, at a minimum, to support DHCPv6, you must be running
dnsmasq-2.64 or dnsmasq-2.63+patches [those patches may fit on earlier
versions of dnsmasq, I have no idea].  But, if you do not specify any
DHCPv6 but just the regular IPv4 stuff plus
listen-address=<IPv6-address>, will dnsmasq work with the changes I have
made to libvirt that puts the dnsmasq parameters into a conf-file.

I am in the process of creating a CentOS 6.3 virtual system.  I will
then feed the dnsmasq on that system slightly modified versions of
various conf-files created under libvirt to see which are going to give
dnsmasq indigestion.

I still believe that for someone to go to the effort of getting (lets
say) libvirt-1.0.0 built, installed and running on CentOS 6.3, then
requiring that dnsmasq-2.64 also be installed is not that big a deal ...
but that is just my opinion.

Gene