[libvirt] Is possible that cpu_maps.xml changed during different releases?

Jiang, Yunhong yunhong.jiang at intel.com
Fri Nov 2 08:52:20 UTC 2012

One question come to my mind for "but such changes will only be additive",
which may be an issue in cloud environment:

Considering following assumed situation:
	In release 1.0's cpu_maps.xml, core2duo include feature "a, b, c"
	In release 1.1's cpu_maps.xml, core2duo include "a, b, c, d"
	Two hosts, with different CPU features:
	Host A with feature "a, b, c, d, e" and 1.1 release, capabilities will be:
		Model: Core2duo (assume core2duo is the only match one)
		Features: e
	Host B with feature "a, b, c, e", and 1.0 release, capabilities will be:
		Models: Core2Duo (again, assume core2duo is the only match one)
		Features: e

	When we compare the capabilities in Host A, I think comparCPU will pass,
because host A will use 1.1 release definition to check Host B's capabilities, this
is sure to be wrong, since host B does not have feature 'd'.

	I think the key point is, capabilities describe features with information from cpu_maps.xml, which is a per-host file.

Thanks
--jyh

Will depends on