[libvirt] Proposed: replace radvd with dnsmasq for Router Advertizing

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Tue Nov 6 20:48:23 UTC 2012

On 11/06/2012 01:56 PM, Laine Stump wrote:
> On 11/06/2012 12:40 PM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
>> On 11/06/2012 11:50 AM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
>>> I am looking into an alternate method of obtaining the dnsmasq
>>> version but the dnsmasq version will be the deciding rule for radvd
>>> versus dnsmasq usage.
>> Try "dig  chaos  txt  version.bind"
> Yeah, I saw that thread (I subscribed to dnsmasq-discuss last week). I
> think that's overkill for what we're doing. running "dig" from libvirt
> just increases the number of external binaries we're dependent on, but
> you still need to parse the text output. Is there any reason for
> preferring this over simply running "dnsmasq --help"? (other than maybe
> hoping that the output would be less likely to change format over time).
> I actually think that it's more important to reduce the count of
> external binary dependencies...

It is not clear to me how to make "dig" work anyway ... dnsmasq is not
running yet.  So it is back to doing "dnsmasq --version" and capturing
the output in a buffer.  Then parsing the buffer for the release and
setting a flag appropriately.  Once the flag is set, the actually doing
the code to use dnsmasq or radvd is "simple". Development is a "work in
progress."  Naturally, I am doing this on top of the three patches I
submitted earlier today.

For the version, I am going to be looking for "2.63" or later. Besides
being for radvd versus dnsmasq, for DHCPv6 I could add a warning if it
was 2.63 and deny/fail/ignore DHCPv6 definitions if it was earlier.
Overkill?

Gene