[libvirt] Expose virDomainGetAutostart through virsh?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Nov 8 14:13:06 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 07, 2012 at 11:32:22AM +0100, Peter Krempa wrote:
> On 11/07/12 11:04, Ruben Kerkhof wrote:
> >Hi list,
> >
> >I'd like to check if a domain has autostart enabled. I do this now by
> >looking if there's a symlink in /etc/libvirt/qemu/autostart, but it
> >feels a bit hackish.
> >
> >Is this something that could be added to virsh?
> >Something like virsh get-autostart domain would be great.
>
> For now there are two options how to check the autostart flag:
>
> 1) virsh dominfo - This is suitable to check for the state of a
> single guest. Unfortunately we have just this one output option
> where it is embedded with other information about the guest:
>
> $ virsh dominfo tr
> Id:             1
> Name:           tr
> UUID:           17f42b42-9fdd-81e3-4a93-a75021a707d3
> OS Type:        hvm
> State:          running
> CPU(s):         1
> CPU time:       200.5s
> Max memory:     53248 KiB
> Used memory:    53248 KiB
> Persistent:     yes
> Autostart:      enable				<- here!
> Managed save:   no
> Security model: none
> Security DOI:   0
>

> 2) use virsh list --all --autostart to list guests that have the
> autostart flag enabled (also note that there are script-friendly
> outputs for virsh list --name and --uuid):
>
> $ virsh list --all --autostart
>  Id    Name                           State
>  1     tr                             running
>  -     Bare                           shut off
>

> We're planing on adding the autostart flag as an XML element and a
> few other improvements of autostaring guests.

I don't think the XML should be in the business of having the
autostart flag, as this is not guest configuration information.
Having it in the XML introduces the problem of maintaining the
correct synchronization between the autostart symlink and the
XML description.

Further, in the future I'd like to actually replace our current
autostart code, with code that just sets up systemd units to
deal with autostart.

In such a scenario, the user will be able to toggle autostart
directly using systemd, so we don't want libvirt duplicating
that info in the XML since it won't be aware of when systemd
changes the autostart flag.