[libvirt] RFC: xml-snapshot-data out-of-sync to .qcow2 data

Philipp Hahn hahn at univention.de
Fri Nov 16 06:10:35 UTC 2012

Hello Eric, hello List,

As QEMU stores the snapshot data inside the qcow2 files, modifing them
directly might bring libvirts snapshot data out-of-sync. In my case a user
replaced a qcow2 with a new file re-using the old name. libvirt still thinks
that the snapshots are valid, while in reality the data is missing:

> # virsh snapshot-revert snap-test foo
> error: internal error Child process (/usr/bin/qemu-img snapshot -a
foo /var/lib/libvirt/images/snap-test.qcow2) status unexpected: exit status 1

What would fix this scenario would be a validation mechanism within libvirt,
which walks all snapshots and checks, if each referenced qcow2 file actually
has the required snaphot data and mark the snapshot as invalid otherwise.
This would require an addition to the xml data to add such a flag.

Or I could tell my users again not to re-use names still used by older
snapshots, but that doesn't work as you see ;-)

Comments?

Sincerely
Philipp
--
Philipp Hahn           Open Source Software Engineer      hahn at univention.de
Univention GmbH        be open.                       fon: +49 421 22 232- 0