[libvirt] libvirt RBD attach regression?

Scott Sullivan ssullivan at liquidweb.com
Wed Nov 21 16:45:55 UTC 2012

Hello,

I have been testing libvirt v1.0.0 for deployment within my
organization, and in the process discovered what appears to be a bug
that breaks virsh attach-device, when attaching an RBD volume to an
instance. First, here is the error presented, with v1.0.0 (this worked
in v0.10.2):

[root at host ~]# virsh attach-device W5APQ8  G84VV1.xml
error: Failed to attach device from G84VV1.xml
error: cannot open file 'dc3-1-test/G84VV1': No such file or directory
[root at host ~]#

W5APQ8 is my running QEMU/KVM instance, and G84VV1.xml contains the
following:

<disk type='network' device='disk'>
<driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
<auth username="removed">
<secret type="ceph" uuid="removed"/>
</auth>
<source protocol='rbd' name='dc3-1-test/G84VV1'>
<host name="X.X.X.X" port="6789"/>
<host name="X.X.X.X" port="6789"/>
<host name="X.X.X.X" port="6789"/>
</source>
<target dev='vdc' bus='virtio'/>
<serial>hpbs-G84VV1</serial>
</disk>

Using git bisect, I narrowed the problem down to this as the first
commit to break this setup:

4d34c92947e8cf9e9bedfa227ada1d2dba92d68a is the first bad commit
commit 4d34c92947e8cf9e9bedfa227ada1d2dba92d68a
Author: Eric Blake <eblake at redhat.com>
Date:   Tue Oct 9 16:08:14 2012 -0600

These all look closely related as well to the problem commit:

http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=commitdiff;h=67aea3fb780346b4aa5aea486af1e7738019959f
http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=commitdiff;h=38c4a9cc40476bd2e598a1876b1254e88a09c760
http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=commitdiff;h=4d34c92947e8cf9e9bedfa227ada1d2dba92d68a

If I build libvirt from sources before these commits and then run the
exact virsh-attach command shown above, the attachment works and I do
not get any errors.

I wanted to see if anyone had any  insights on this, or perhaps a commit
to correct this issue. If I can be of any further assistance with this,
let me know.

Thanks,
Scott Sullivan