[libvirt] Proposal: no dnsmasq (no dhcp and no dns) and no radvd option

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Mon Nov 26 21:49:53 UTC 2012

On 11/25/2012 05:08 PM, Laine Stump wrote:
>> Speaking of logging, if you do not like the lease renewal messages,
>> >then you will have a bigger problem with the "RTR-ADVERT" messages
>> >that dnsmasq issues every 3//4/5 seconds for every started interface.
> Yes, that's definitely a no-go. I'm pretty sure nobody would stand for
> that. If that's how dnsmasq operates, we can't switch to using dnsmasq
> until that's remedied.

One-line replacement fix should "fix" the problem: change LOG_INFO to
LOG_DEBUG and I am confident that it should be in 2.64.

You mentioned that users were griping about other messages.  I do
believe that there are too many LOG_INFO messages and perhaps some of
them need to have more to differentiate them and, even more likely, do
issue many of those messages unless log-dhcp is specified. [otherwise,
finding the real information in vast quantities of data becomes very
challenging]

But, it was also pointed out that too many messages means that you have
not "tuned" (filtered) you syslog sufficiently.  That is a very real
point and could have been used for the RTR-ADVERT messages too except
they really belongs in LOG_DEBUG.

Gene